How to measure a mattress
We have compiled a list a common errors done by customers so that you get your mattress measurement right.
- Furniture Box dimensions: The dimensions mentioned on the furniture box may refer to the outer dimensions of the bed, order based on the inner dimensions which are relevant while buying the mattress. In case you are not sure, we recommend you wait until the installation is complete so that the inner dimension can be taken physically.
- Inner Dimensions: Once the furniture is installed, use a tape to measure both the length and width. Ensure the tape is held correctly and preferably use the engineers steel tape to measure, since they don’t bend rather than the tailoring tape.
- Corners: In case your furniture is customized with curved corners / protruding corners / triangular corners, take a template of the corner and order a customized size for the same.
How to decide the mattress size
Buying a small mattress is one of the most common mistakes made by first time buyers. For optimal comfort, it is wiser to purchase a larger mattress, if you have a choice. Some important factors to consider when making mattress size choices are:
Number of people using the mattress:
- For a single person a 36in (3ft) / 48in (4ft) wide mattress
- For 2 people buy minimum 60in (5ft) wide mattress.
- Also note, if you are planning to have the kids sleep along in future, buy minimum 72in (6ft) wide mattress.
Your height and weight:
- Length: The mattress length should be a minimum of 6inches longer than the height of the tallest person using the mattress.
- Breadth: Lie down comfortably making use of a pillow and put your elbows behind your head. Your elbows should not touch your partner or go beyond the edge of the mattress. Also note heavier people might require more moving space on the mattress, so a wider mattress is recommended.
Size of the bedroom:
- Allow enough room along all the side of the mattress to move around comfortably
- We recommend a minimum of 22inches clearance on all sides.
Mattress for Kids:
- Do consider their increase in height over the years
- We recommend buying a regular length mattress for kids
Standard Dimensions: (Length x Breadth)
- Single Bed – 75in x 36in; 78in x 36in
- Queen Size – 75in x 60in; 78in x 60in
- King Size – 75in x 72in; 78in x 72in
Other important factors
Deciding mattress thickness:
- As a thumb rule, thicker the mattress, the more comfortable it will be
- Consider the furniture height: The total height including the mattress should not be above 24 inches. For elders we recommend only 22 inches total height, for ease of getting on and off the bed
- Consider the mattress thickness when deciding the headboards height
- In case of readymade furniture, visualize how much of the headboard will be covered once the mattress is placed. Customers at times buy too thick a mattress, completely spoiling the aesthetics of the furniture.
- In case of hydraulic storage enquire about the minimum mattress weight for ease of usage. Light mattresses might not create enough pressure to the hydraulic system to work
- Consider the ease of moving the mattress around in case the storage under the mattress needs to be accessed frequently.
Most imported furniture come with slatted bases which have significant gaps between them. In these cases, avoid buying mattresses like natural latex and softer foam mattresses.